It seems like it was just yesterday that my 13-year-old had the flu, and I spent several sleepless nights checking on her to make sure she was okay. As I sat there in the dark with her while she was sleeping, I remembered doing the same thing when I first brought her home from the hospital.
Sunday, February 10, 2013
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
This post begins with a little bit of frustration. Love it when I type out a post, swear that I hit the save button, walk away to do something, and come back to find no post. Anywhere. Okay - moving on.
When I was growing up, we used to go to this small restaurant sometimes in San Luis Obispo. Of course, I can't remember the name of the restaurant, what street it was on, or even really what kind of food they served. But I've remembered for years that this was the place to go to have chocolate soup. Not chocolate pudding and not hot chocolate, chocolate soup was served warm in a soup bowl, had the consistency of a very thick potato soup (without the chunky things), and, to be honest, tasted just like a bowl of warm chocolate pudding. Sometimes on cold nights, I almost break down and make chocolate pudding just to serve it warm before it congeals.
One night when the family went out to one of our favorite spots in Pasadena, Mi Piace, to my delight they had chocolate soup on the dessert menu. After I ordered it, I worried that it would be nothing like what I remembered. You know when you think about something from your childhood, and it bears no resemblance in adulthood? When it arrived at the table, it was exactly as I remembered it. Since then, I keep thinking about it even more than I did before. So yesterday I went on a hunt for the recipe. None of my cookbooks at home had anything vaguely similar, so I went to the old faithful FoodNetwork.com and found this recipe from George Duran.
Unfortunately, I only had semi-sweet chocolate in the house, so it wasn't as dark as I would have liked it, but it had the right flavor, texture and smooth creaminess. Now that I know how to make it, this could be really dangerous.